Skip to main content

Women. Feminism. Equality Education.

Yesterday, I beat one of the older boys in a game of Badminton. He came up to me after the game and said 'It doesn't feel good to lose to a girl.' Another kid looked at my jeans and said, "Jeans are for boys, but now girls wear them too." It has been a minute since I've heard someone say things like that because I guess I've surrounded myself with people who are feminists back home in the U.S. Thus, I was taken aback every time one of the boys said something like that. 

I then realized that this place is mainly run by men. There are currently a total of 3 girls, including me - 2 on-site counselors and me, a volunteer. The rest of the staff/faculty and children are boys and men. The higher management level consists of women. However, the people on-site are largely men. Thus, it is possible that many of the boys have internalized a sort of gender divide. 

I admire the fact that the boys of Bal Ashram are taught that they are all equal and one through chants, prayers, and songs. They are taught that child labor and trafficking is bad. They are taught their rights as children. They are taught to respect one another and protect one another. However, at least as far as I know and have seen, they haven't been explicitly taught about women/girls' rights and feminism. For the large part, they know that women's rights are rights too. But they haven't understood to what extent women experience misogyny on a day-to-day basis.

Boys and men must also learn that girls and women have a voice. Females can also be kickass at sports and beat others. Females can also study and excel and have ambitions. Females also deserve respect and equal rights/opportunities.

Comments